For an analysis of material flow all transport processes, procedures and storage as well as unwanted waiting has to be accurate defined and recorded.
We recommend you analyse your material flow if:
- the company constantly grew in the past years, internal transport process and storage grew with the demand but was never optimised for current requests
- there are critical areas where the material flow stops or slows down with the consequence of machine down time and waiting time for workers and customers
- costs for transport, storage and packaging are high compared to the overall added value and should be reduced
Golden Rule: MATERIAL MUST FLOW
What could you achieve by using this method?
- stocktaking of the current condition: material flow between suppliers, customers and company internal
- investigation of optimisation potential to reduce processing time and reduce stock
- optimisation of production program
- determine the material flow rate on critical areas
Step by step guide:
- defining of goals
- defining of borders and interfaces
- setting of expected results, key figures and outline
- developing of database
- investigating production system and inventory
- analysing the collected data
- recording and graphical display of results
- presenting of results and developing of strategies
- implementing results and strategies
Analysis, planning and optimisation of the material flow plays a minor part in many companies. But if you consider that the costs for the material flow are 15% or more of the total costs you see the huge cost saving potential.
Benefit / advantage:
- the client gets detailed information about material movement and storage of raw material, components and finished products.
- weak spots will get identified and solutions will be suggested and implemented
- cost reduction through improved material flow